If you’ve never had Filipino food, now’s the time to try it. You’ve probably seen some Filipino BBQ restaurants and food carts popping up. Engeline’s Restaurant and Bakeshop in Woodside is a great place to test the waters–the staff is really friendly, helpful, and will make you feel at home, even with a group of 6! My friend’s mom suggested we try Engeline’s a couple years ago – it’s her favorite place to get her native cuisine, so you know it’s good!
We’re going to highlight some of the delicious things we got which should help guide you through ordering:
- San Miguel Pale Pilsen or Red Horse Extra Strong Beer
- Lumpia Shanghai - Lumpia are the Filipino version of Thai spring rolls, but they are shorter and you get a lot more of them in one order (10-12). This particular lumpiang has ground pork, shrimp, and vegetables.
- Pancit - Pancit is the term used for noodles in Filipino cuisine. Pancit Canton (above) is a thicker noodle while Pancit Bihon is a thinner rice noodle, both served with shrimp, chicken, and vegetables.
- Pork (above) or Chicken Adobo - Either is delicious and cooked in a garlic, vinegar and soy sauce, which is perfect to drizzle over rice.
- Barbecue Pork Skewers (‘From the Grill’ section of the menu) - You get 2 skewers of 4-5 pieces of pork marinated in a delicious and slightly sweet sauce. FAVORITE!
- Sinampalukang Manok - Chicken with vegetables in a delicious tamarind broth-soup.
- Crispy Pata - We didn’t order it, but I hear from my twitter friend @ArrogantSwine that the “Crispy pata at Engelines will change your life!”
- Sansrival - Engeline’s is also a bakeshop so don’t miss dessert! Sansrival is layered buttercream, meringue, and cashew-covered “cake” (I say this with quotes since it is slightly hard and you have to cut it with a knife).
- Ube Cake - If you’re looking for something a little less sweet than the sansrival, try a slice of the purple yam Ube Cake (not on the menu specificially, but they usually have it).
Engeline’s Restaurant and Bakeshop
5828 Roosevelt Avenue
Woodside, NY 11377